Supreme Court

Click on Questions for Answers


Any prospective Barrister, Attorney or Notary before he/she can be admitted to any of the three branches of the legal profession must comply with Section 4 (2) (a) (ii) (B) of the Law Practitioners Act (LPA). Under Section 5 of the LPA, there will be compliance if the applicant has followed such course as may be approved by the Council and conducted by an accredited person in the subjects specified in the Second Schedule.

Consequently, following the Vocational Course is compulsory before taking the Vocational Examination.

  1. Supreme Court - Pope Hennessy Street, Port Louis Tel. 2075840
  2. Intermediate Court (civil) - 3rd Floor, New Court House, Pope Hennessy Street, Port Louis. Tel. 2102310/2102680/2102816
  3. Intermediate Court (criminal) - 2nd Floor, New Court House, Pope Hennessy Street, Port Louis. Tel. 2102310/2109874/2101143
  4. Industrial Court - 4th Floor, New Court House, Pope Hennessy Street, Port Louis. Tel. 2102310/2122257/2122256
  5. Family Division, Supreme Court - 5th Floor, New Court House, Pope Hennessy Street, Port Louis. Tel. 2102310
  6. Bail and Remand Court - Ground Floor, New Court House, Pope Hennessy Street, Port Louis. Tel. 2102310/2085233
  7. Commercial Division, Supreme Court - Pope Hennessy Street, Port Louis. Tel. 2129829/2132893
  8. Mediation Division, Supreme Court - Happy World House, Desforges Street, Port Louis
  9. District Court Port Louis (Civil Division) 1st Floor, New Court House, Pope Hennessy Street, Port Louis. Tel. 210/2310/2083040/2120983
  10. District Court Port Louis (North) 1st Floor, New Court House, Pope Hennessy Street, Port Louis. Tel. 210/2310/2106939
  11. District Court Port Louis (South) 1st Floor, New Court House, Pope Hennessy Street, Port Louis. Tel. 2102310/2121432/2103099
  12. Lower Plaines Wilhems District Court - Royal Road Rose Hill. Tel. 4673380/4542496/4643051
  13. Upper Plaines Wilhems District Court - Behind Royal College of Curepipe. Tel. 6704105/6762833
  14. Grand Port District Court - Maurice Street, Mahebourg. Tel. 6310986/6315762
  15. Pamplemousses District Court - Botanical Garden Street, Pamplemousses. Tel. 2434951/2433521
  16. Riviere du Rempart District Court - Botanical Garden Street, Pamplemousses. Tel. 2437933/2437935
  17. Flacq District Court - Charles de Gaule Street, Central Flacq. Tel. 4133293/4131068
  18. Black River District Court - Royal Road, Bambous. Tel.4521635/4525117/4520171
  19. Moka District Court - Royal Road, Moka. Tel. 4546312/4546290
  20. Souillac District Court - St. Louis, Surinam. Tel. 6255519/6255025/6256574
  21. Rodrigues Court - Port Mathurin, Rodrigues. Tel. 8311511/8310559

In order to ascertain your Court date, you need to contact the Court Manager/ Court Officers of the relevant Court.

You should give advance notice in case of an important engagement preventing you from attending Court otherwise you should give priority to your Court case. In case you fail to do so, a warrant may be issued for your arrest /or you may have to pay a fine.

In the event of sickness preventing you from attending Court, you may inform the Court Manager/ Prosecutor and send a medical certificate through a representative (relative or friend) with a National Identity Card (copy) in the course of the same day to justify your absence.

You should immediately attend the appropriate Court to explain your absence to the Court and to apply for the warrant to be recalled provided you have a valid explanation. The Court has the discretion to either remand you to prison or order you to furnish a surety in order to ensure your attendance in Court.

As a general rule all cases are heard in open Court. There are exceptions, for example in cases involving juveniles.

  1. If you intend to plead not guilty, your personal attendance in Court is required. You cannot be replaced.
  2. If you intend to plead guilty, you may do so either by letter or by filing in an appropriate form obtainable at any Registry of any Court and any Police Station or by downloading the form here

  3. However you may only do so for road traffic offences punishable by a fine only.

    You cannot plead guilty by letter for the following offences:
    1. No test certificate
    2. Driving with no driving licence
    3. Permitting or employing an unlicensed person to drive a motor vehicle, his licence having expired
    4. Driving with no driving licence, having never been licensed
    5. Permitting or employing an unlicensed person, who has never been licensed to drive a motor vehicle
    6. Fraudulent application for, or obtaining of, driving licence, driving under disqualification . Vehicle uninsured
    7. Driving PSV or goods vehicle without appropriate licence
    8. Using vehicle without certificate of fitness or when use is prohibited
    9. Driving without due care and attention
    10. Being in charge of a motor vehicle under influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs
    11. Driving under influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs
    12. Driving or attempting to drive a motor vehicle with excess alcohol in blood or urine
    13. Involuntary wounds and blows
    14. Taking and driving away a motor vehicle without consent of owner or other lawful authority
    15. No motor vehicle or trailer licence
  4. You may also depute someone of age to appear on your behalf and plead guilty. Your representative must be in a position to produce his National Identity Card when requested.

You will not be notified by the Court. You must either phone the Registry of the appropriate Court or call personally at the Registry as from the next working day.

In order to be entitled to legal aid, your monthly income should not exceed Rs10,000.- and you should not own property worth Rs500,000.- or more.

For District Court criminal cases, you will not be entitled to legal aid except for certain cases as provided under the Legal Aid Act.

Upon arrest by Police, you may be entitled to legal assistance but the above conditions should be met.

According to Law, fines are payable forthwith although as a matter of practice, a delay of 8 days is provided.

In case you need further delay, you are requested to contact the Court Officers who will arrange for you to appear before the Magistrate for you to justify a request for a further delay.

All District Magistrates have jurisdiction as "Juges de Paix" and can call parties in Chambers to amicably resolve disputes, to conciliate the parties. This does not involve any costs or assistance from lawyers and is a free service and can be used following appointment with the Magistrate.

You may be refunded only after the case is over and the bail has lapsed. There may be no refund in case bail has been forfeited, for example if the accused has failed to appear in Court.

You will be refunded about one week after the expiry of the period of conditional discharge and provided that the accused party has not breached the conditions of his release.

If the appeal is allowed, a refund will be made about one month after the judgment.

If the appeal is dismissed, a refund will be effected after the Bill of Costs has been settled and this may take a longer period.

This will depend on whether the Court has ordered the exhibits to be returned to the owner. In such case your personal belongings will be returned to you after 21 days if there is no appeal. Otherwise you will have to wait for the final decision of the Appellate Court.

You must contact the Court which issued the Prohibition Order and apply for a variation of the Prohibition Order. Your application must provide the following details:

  1. The period of travel;
  2. The reason/purpose of travel;
  3. Documentary evidence for travel if necessary;
  4. Country/countries you intend to visit.

Such application must be made at least 15 days before the proposed travel.
If the request is acceded to, you will be requested to provide additional financial security and to comply with any other conditions which may be imposed by the Court.

It is your duty as a citizen to attend Court when you are summoned and to assist in the administration of justice. However you will be refunded your return bus fare, together with a "subsistence" allowance.

In a Civil matter, it is the party who causes you to be summoned to pay for your return bus fare and the "subsistence" allowance.

You are expected to be dressed smartly and to switch your cellular phone to silent or off mode. You are not allowed to behave in a disruptive or disrespectful manner whilst attending Court.

The Court has no such facilities you are not allowed to bring children/toddlers inside the Court room.

You may contact the Court Manager of the District Court of your locality who will do the needful for assistance.

You must call upon the Court Manager of the District Court of the area of residence of your spouse for needful. In case of a divorce petition with a claim for alimony, you must contact the Court Manager of the Supreme Court Family Division.

If your spouse has permanent employment, an "attachment procedure" can be initiated to order your spouse s employer to deduct the amount of alimony from his/her salary to be paid to you.

If you have financial means, you need to contact an attorney (Avou) to enter a "divorce petition". You will also be represented during the divorce hearing by a barrister (Avocat).

If you have insufficient financial means, you should contact the "legal aid" section of the Supreme Court (Affidavit Section - New Court House).

As a general rule, all affidavits can be sworn/solemnly affirmed before any Magistrate/Commissioner of Oaths of any District Court and the Supreme Court.

You are advised to contact the Family Welfare Unit of the Ministry of Gender, Equality, Child Development & Family Welfare of your locality and in an appropriate case, they will bring the matter before the District Court.

The hotline number of the Family Welfare Unit is 139

You must call on the Court Manager of the District Court of the locality where the document was originally registered and apply for rectification. This service is free of charge. For a change of name, you need to direct your application to the Attorney General s Office.

You need to call upon the Court Manager of the District Court of your place of residence with the birth certificate of the child and your National Identity Card. You will be required to pay Court fees for a warrant to be issued to bring back the minor.​